Twitalytics Update, December 2010 (1)

First of december's overview of tweets about #LeWeb

Some more updates and changes for twitalytics :

In general:

  • I did some more styling changes in the css, hopefully you’ll find them pleasing or at least ok.

Keyword Page:

  • The “Today” button on the keyword page did not work correctly – this is now fixed.
  • Instead of the “All” button, which lost it usefullness some time ago when keywords started having more than a few hundreds of tweets, I’ve added a “Yesterday” button. This means you can go back into the database day-by-day. I’m wondering if I need to add a graph for each days activity (I think yes).
  • The layout of the tweets in the table below the graphs has been rearranged : before you could only order the tweets on language, now you can also order on authorname.
  • Behind the authorname is sometimes a (+). This means that there is information about this author in the database, and clicking on the authorname will show you a dialog box with info on the user and the keywords he is tweeting about (if more than one). There’s also a link to his twitter profile. If there is no (+) you are directly linked to this online twitter profile.
  • Tweets are by default shown chronologically – the date has been moved to the far right column, in small font so you can still verify this.
  • The tweets are now presented with a bit more whitespace around them.

Adding A New Keyword:

  • When you add a new keyword, and it doesn’t exist already, a first update is made immediately for that keyword – you no longer have to wait until the hour strikes before seeing results !
  • todo: rework the results page when searching for a keyword : it is still my very first attempt of a page, and looks hideous to me now.

My Profile :

  • this now only contains your profile information
  • to be added :  a way to update your profile information with a new email, etc. (this might take a while!)

Reports :

  • this now contains the statistics about the keyword and the users tweeting about them
  • it shows keyword + language + number of users tweeting about this keyword

In the backend I’ve also now started using the mailer python module, which is a wrapper that allows you to send mail easier – instead of trying to suss out how smtplib expects it’s parameters for each type of mail, I can just supply them to mailer, and it does the rest ! This’ll open up some new possibilities of alerting in the future.

For example, an e-mail alert when the average threshold has been reached or bypassed on a certain day would be interesting !

Twitalytics Update, November 2010 (2)

I just did an update to Twitalytics (or Twita for short).

What’s changed:

  • Redid the search screen and added an autocomplete (jquery-ui) to the inputfield when you type something in the search field. The drop-down will show you the list of similar keyword queries other users are running.
  • Rearranged the search screen so it’s more intuitive to select languages
  • A first relook at the results that are shown after entering the search words: ugh! I need to redo this screen ! Tweaked the buttons already.
  • Added some spiffy graphic icons to the keyword overview table ! The icon set is called ‘flavour-extended‘ by Olivier Twardowski and I found them via a post in Smashing Magazine.
  • I tweaked the header and the footer section so that they take up less space.
  • The keyword table which currently resides under “My Profile” now also shows the languages you selected.

I’m starting to notice some slowness entering the system – I’ll need to optimize my queries, I am thinking about moving some of those which are tweep-related (twitterers, users who send tweets) to another cron-job so it is done once-a-day.

That’s it for now !

Twita updates

Today I have worked on the following:
– setting the default sort for the keyword overview
– now that you can filter tweets by language, fixing the retrieving of those tweets by date – this is not yet finished, as this overlaps with the default sorting.

I’m also starting to implement jqplot instead of flot – jqplot has trend lines and pie charts just by using plugins and just seems more easier…